[CITAMS] Fwd: "Freedom" - a call for papers from Contexts Magazine

Wenhong Chen wenhong.chen at austin.utexas.edu
Wed Aug 1 20:16:37 EDT 2018

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Alisha Kirchoff <alkircho at iu.edu>
Date: Wed, Aug 1, 2018 at 10:49 AM
Subject: "Freedom" - a call for papers from Contexts Magazine
To: Kirchoff, Alisha <alkircho at indiana.edu>
CC: Rojas, Fabio Guillermo <frojas at indiana.edu>, <rjray at umd.edu>

Dear Colleagues -

I am writing on behalf of the editorial team of *Contexts*, the
public-facing journal of the American Sociological Association. We are
contacting members of our network as well as representatives from various
ASA communities and sections to help promote a special issue of the journal
for which we are currently accepting submission proposals.

*Contexts* will publish a special issue in Summer 2019 exploring the many
meanings of freedom from a sociological perspective. We call for proposals
that address freedom from multiple angles. This may include, but is not
limited to, topics such as mass incarceration, border control, the
regulation of work and labor, the transition away from communism in the
late 20th century, struggles against authoritarianism, the meaning of
political and economic freedom across cultures, the exercise of freedom
within organizations such as schools and corporations, the cultural and
normative contexts that support freedom, and the assessment of
institutions, such as the U.S. Constitution, that are meant to define and
bolster political liberties.

The full call for papers can be found on the *Contexts* website:
https://contexts.org/blog/freedom-a-call-for-papers/

*The deadline for submissions is September 1, 2018. *

We are requesting your help in distributing the call as widely as possible.
Please help us by sharing this information with your networks, students,
ASA sections, colleagues in affiliated associations (e.g. PAA, LSA), and
home departments. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to
contact Co-editors Rashawn Ray (rjray at umd.edu) and Fabio Rojas (
frojas at indiana.edu). Thank you in advance for considering this request.

Best wishes,

Alisha Kirchoff

*Alisha Kirchoff*
Associate Instructor
Department of Sociology
Indiana University
Ballantine Hall 705
1020 E. Kirkwood Ave.
<https://maps.google.com/?q=1020+E.+Kirkwood+Ave.+%0D%0A+Bloomington,+IN+47405&entry=gmail&source=g>
<https://maps.google.com/?q=1020+E.+Kirkwood+Ave.+%0D%0A+Bloomington,+IN+47405&entry=gmail&source=g>
Bloomington, IN 47405
<https://maps.google.com/?q=1020+E.+Kirkwood+Ave.+%0D%0A+Bloomington,+IN+47405&entry=gmail&source=g>
-7103
alkircho at indiana.edu

Editorial Assistant & Digital Content Producer
*Contexts Magazine *
https://contexts.org/

--

*Cheers,*

*Wenhong **文泓*

*Wenhong Chen,* PhD

Associate Professor of Media Studies and Sociology
Department of Radio-TV-Film | Moody College of Communication
The University of Texas at Austin

Chair, Communication, Information Technologies, and Media Sociology section
American Sociological Association

Office hour signup http://bit.ly/1xpHy1c
http://utexas.academia.edu/wenhongchen
New book: Networked China <http://www.routledge.com/9781138840027/>