[CITAMS] Book Announcement

Stephen Barnard socsavvy at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 08:44:15 EDT 2018

 Dear colleagues,

I am excited to announce the release of my new book, Citizens at the Gates:
Twitter, Networked Publics, and the Transformation of American Journalism
(Palgrave Macmillan).  It is currently available in hardback and eBook (
bit.ly/catg2018), as well as on SpringerLink:
https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-3-319-90446-7.

Drawing insights from nearly a decade of mixed-method research, the
book brings together conceptual and theoretical lenses from multiple
academic disciplines to examine the role Twitter plays in the structure and
practices of the journalistic field.  By analyzing the use of Twitter
surrounding newsworthy events—including the Boston Marathon bombing,
protests in Ferguson, Missouri, and the election of Donald Trump—I
demonstrate how in addition to spelling opportunity for citizen media
activism, the normalization of digital communication adds new channels of
influence for traditional thought leaders, posing notable challenges for
the future of journalism and democracy.  (A slightly more detailed summary
is available here:
https://www.stlawu.edu/news/sociology-prof-new-book-examines-twitter%E2%80%99s-role-journalism
.)

The publisher has offered a 20% discount code, good through July 25th,
which I'll be happy to share upon request.  For those of you at academic
institutions, please also consider asking your library to purchase a copy
if you think it might be of interest to your students or colleagues.

I'll be in Philly for ASA, so don't hesitate to get in touch if you have
questions, thoughts, or would like to arrange a chat.  And, please do help
me spread the word by sharing this announcement with others who might be
interested.

All the best,
Steve
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~