[CITAMS] 2018 CITAMS Award Results

Wenhong Chen wenhong.chen at austin.utexas.edu
Wed Jun 6 07:50:04 EDT 2018

Dear CITAMS members and friends,

I am pleased to share our 2018 section award results.

*William F. Ogburn Career Achievement Award *

*Winner: W. Russell Neuman, Professor of Media Technology, NYU & Professor
(Emeritus), Communication Studies, University of Michigan *

*2017-2018 Committee: Jessie Daniels (Chair), Gary T. Marx, Jennifer Earl,
Eszter Hargittai *

*Best Book Award*

*Winner: Christo Sims, University of California, San Diego, Disruptive
Fixation: School Reform and the Pitfalls of Techno-Idealism (Princeton,
2017)*

*2017-2018 Committee: Deana Rohlinger (Chair), Phaedra Daipha,
Mohammed Zayani, Grant Blank*

* Best Article Award*

*Winner: Christopher A. Bail, Taylor W. Brown, and Marcus Mann. 2017.
"Channeling Hearts and Minds: Advocacy Organizations, Cognitive-Emotional
Currents, and Public Conversation." American Sociological Review
82(6):1188-1213. *

*2017-2018 Committee: Mito Akiyoshi(Chair), Arnout van de Rijt, Sarah
Sobieraj*

*Best Student Paper Award*

*Co-winner: Laura Frizzell, Scott Duxbury, Sadé Lindsay, Ohio State
University, Mental Illness, the Media, and the Moral Politics of Mass
Violence: The Role of Race in Mass Shootings Coverage*

*Co-winner: Ethel Mickey, Northeastern University, Doing Gender, Doing
Networks: Exploring Individual Networking Strategies in High-Tech *

*2017-2018 Committee: Wenhong Chen (Chair), Arvind Karunakaran, Bryce
Hannibal *

*Public Sociology Award*

*Winner: Professor Jeffrey Goldfarb, The New School for Social Research*

*2017-2018 Committee will be: Jeffrey Boase(Chair), Michael Stern, Leslie
Jones *

*I would like to thank the nominators as well as our section award **committee
chairs and members for their **commitment** and service to our section and
profession. *

*Please join us at our section business meeting to celebrate the award
winners and their work: *

2207 - Section on Communication, Information Technologies, and Media
Sociology Business Meeting*Sun, August 12, 11:30am to 12:10pm, Pennsylvania
Convention Center, Level 100, 103B*
https://convention2.allacademic.com/one/asa/asa18/
index.php?cmd=Online+Program+View+Session&selected_session_
id=1345523&PHPSESSID=aeaf9uj3fe1t8tu97p7k5om764

*Cheers,*

*Wenhong **文泓*

*Wenhong Chen,* PhD

Associate Professor of Media Studies and Sociology
Department of Radio-TV-Film | Moody College of Communication
The University of Texas at Austin

Chair, Communication, Information Technologies, and Media Sociology section
American Sociological Association

Office hour signup http://bit.ly/1xpHy1c
http://utexas.academia.edu/wenhongchen
New book: Networked China <http://www.routledge.com/9781138840027/>