[CITAMS] Chairperson position - Dept. Media & Information at MSU

Keith Hampton keith.hampton at mysocialnetwork.net
Fri Sep 14 13:26:05 EDT 2018

Colleagues,

My department is searching for a new chairperson. Come work with us! We are
a dynamic, sociology friendly department, looking for a senior scholar who
can help advance our transdisciplinary approach to media and information. I
hope that a number of you are interested, please feel free to contact me
directly.

Keith

CHAIRPERSON SEARCH
MEDIA & INFORMATION @ MSU

The Department of Media and Information (M&I) in the College of
Communication Arts and Sciences at Michigan State University invites
applications for Chairperson.

M&I is a top-five ranked, research and grant-active department. The
department’s 31 faculty have core interests that focus on the study of
technology and society, human-technology interaction, and technological
systems. The M&I faculty was deliberately recruited from a range of
disciplines, including communication, computer science, media
human-computer interaction, management, psychology, sociology, political
science, economics, STS, and design to complement each and to create a
unique intellectual energy. This environment takes the best and most useful
elements of various disciplines to create novel insights. The department
strives to promote work that is cross-disciplinary and transdisciplinary.
Such endeavors expand our knowledge in new and innovative ways.

Our top-ranked cross-department doctoral program has over 60 students. Our
applied master’s program enrolls over 60 students from across the globe. We
educate over 800 undergraduate majors in film and media production, games
and interactive media, media and information management, and human-centered
technology design.

Our next chairperson will be a globally recognized scholar who brings
dynamic and inclusive leadership experience to further our
transdisciplinary vision and to balance the department’s research
initiatives and creative activity with our teaching mission. A terminal
degree in a discipline related to media and information is required.
Candidates must have a track record of distinguished scholarship including
grant activity, administrative and organizational skills, and intellectual
curiosity. We value experience in public policy or industry and a
willingness to engage with stakeholders outside the academy.

Salary will be commensurate with experience and academic credentials. The
position is a full-time, 12-month, tenured appointment. The expected start
date is August 2019 or sooner. Candidates should submit 1) a cover letter
that includes a statement of purpose and vision for the department, 2) a
curriculum vitae, and 3) the names and contact information of three
references. The search committee will begin its evaluation of applicants by
October 15, 2018 and will continue until an exceptional candidate is
selected.

M&I is committed to achieving excellence by creating and sustaining an
accessible and inclusive culture that values cultural and academic
diversity. We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. The
department is particularly interested in candidates of all backgrounds who
are committed to the principles of diversity and proactive inclusion.
Experience mentoring and supporting faculty, staff and students from
marginalized groups is particularly valued.

The Department of Media and Information is a member of the iSchools
consortium and is housed in MSU’s world-renowned College of Communication
Arts and Sciences. Established in 1955, as the first of its kind in the
country, “ComArtSci” is now one of the largest and most respected colleges
of Communication in the world. ComArtSci combines a research-intensive
faculty with a strong professional mission to prepare students for
rewarding careers and to influence the professional practice of
communication globally.

Michigan State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity
Employer. Persons with disabilities have the right to request and receive
reasonable accommodation.

Electronic submission of applications through MSU’s Careers site
http://careers.msu.edu/mob/cw/en-us/job/499944/chairpersonmanagement

*Keith N. Hampton, Ph.D.*
*Professor, Department of Media and Information*
*Director for Academic Research, Quello Center*
*Affiliate Faculty, Department of Sociology*
www.mysocialnetwork.net
www.twitter.com/mysocnet