[CITAMS] The longest article

Mathieu O'Neil mathieu.oneil at anu.edu.au
Tue Jun 11 01:09:05 EDT 2019

Hi all

I thought I would share this as CITAMS plays a role in it. The short version is that an article I co-wrote with Rob Ackland was recently published: Mathieu O’Neil & Robert Ackland (2019) Risk issue adoption in an online social movement field, Information, Communication & Society, DOI: 10.1080/1369118X.2019.1620823  [Abstract*]

The slightly longer version goes as follows:

  *   Initial data collection and analysis presentation at the Sunbelt International Social Network Conference in 2006 (Vancouver);
  *   Rejected outright by the American Sociological Review in 2008, then split into two [the other half was submitted to Social Networks in 2010, published in 2011 and won the Communication, Information Technologies, and Media Sociology section of the American Sociological Association (CITASA, now CITAMS) Best Paper Award in 2012];
  *   Submitted to a Mobilization special issue on online networks, asked to revise and resubmit, but subsequently rejected by eds as they deemed that revisions were substantial and there was not enough time before special issue came out, in 2014;
  *   Updated by adding data and analysis from 2002-2012 (not sure if this happened before or after 2014 actually);
  *   Submitted to Information, Communication & Society, and invited to revise and resubmitted in 2015;
  *   Told by Information, Communication & Society that we had waited too long to resubmit, that all records of reviewers had been lost and that we had to submit as an original article, in 2018;
  *   Accordingly went through another round of new reviewers, revise and resubmit in 2018-2019;
  *   Accepted and published last week!

if you'd like to check it out and have institutional access, please use it and leave the link below for those who don't.

Want to tell others you're published? Use your free eprints today
Every author at Routledge (including all co-authors) gets 50 free online copies of their article to share with friends and colleagues as soon as their article is published. Your eprint link is now ready to use and is:

https://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/DjFdXvfwqYXTSgQsXqta/full?target=10.1080/1369118X.2019.1620823

cheers,
Mathieu

*Abstract: This article extends the field conceptualisation of social change and innovation adoption, which hinges upon the strategic capacities of actors, to the online environment. We focus on a key aspect of social movement organisations (SMOs), competition for members, resources and attention over an environmental risk issue. The incorporation of network theory enables us to map how the structural position of actors in the field is associated with their actions – for example, their response to an exogenous shock such as a new threat to the environment. We analyse how actors in the online environmental movement respond to the emergence of nanoscience and technology (NST) as a risk issue, and test the field theory hypothesis that dominated actors are more likely to adopt this issue in the early stages of emergence. Our findings challenge field theory orthodoxy and suggest that whilst challengers innovate, dominants co-opt by adopting the issue in a second stage. Finally, we examine why the notion that NST entails significant environmental and health risks was not propelled into wider public consciousness.

KEYWORDS: Environmental communication, nanotechnology, organisational fields, social networks, social movements