[CITAMS] ESMC Call for Chapters for Volume "Technology and Government"

Emerald Editorial editorial at emeraldmediastudies.com
Tue May 7 03:40:45 EDT 2019

*Emerald Studies in Media and Communications Book Series*

*Chapter Solicitation for *

*Technology and Government*

*To: *Prospective Contributors

*From: *Lloyd Levine, Editor

*Subject: LOOKING FOR AUTHORS FOR TWO SPECIFIC CHAPTERS *for upcoming book
on Technology and Government – CITAMS/Emerald Studies in Media and
Communication

*Details & Invitation to Participate *

I am seeking authors for two specific chapters in an upcoming, *peer
reviewed *volume of *Emerald Studies in Media and Communications *Book
Series sponsored by CITAMS (Communication, Information Technologies, and
Media Sociology Section of the American Sociological Association). The
volume will focus on technology and government and will be divided into two
parts. Part one will examine how government procures and uses technology,
and part two would be how changes in technology have changed the way
government operates.

I have received numerous submissions and commitments, but to make the book
as strong and relevant I am seeking authors for two specific chapters.

Specifically, as I have been reviewing the submissions and considering the
different aspects of eGovernment I am seeking chapters that:

1) Provide a case study of an example of a government or governmental
entity that has done a good job of purchasing and or implementing
technology. The news is rife with stories of cost overruns, delays, or
incorrect and insufficient purchases or implementations. But are there any
governments that have done an excellent job of buying computing devices or
implementing a new system? eEstonia appears to be such a case. A case study
of the creation and implementation of eEstonia would be ideal. Alternately,
a case study that finds other jurisdictions, departments, or agencies that
have a model would be very welcome. Finally, this chapter should provide
lessons learned and how those lessons or principles could be transferrable
to other governmental entities.

2) A chapter that examining what people who have grown up with technology,
smartphones, near ubiquitous broadband expect of government? And, can
government meet those expectations?

To me, this is an unexplored area of research with profound implications.
The internet and technology have revolutionized the world and many
industries. It has likely forever altered the publishing and retail
industries, to name just two examples. However, government is not going
away. With every passing year technology advances and the percentage of the
population who did not know a world before technology grows. Broadband and
its capabilities just emerged as viable residential option in the early
2000s. And, the first iPhone came to market in 2008. We will soon encounter
a generation of people whose entire existence and much of their
interactions with the world are conducted with and through some means of
technology. This chapter will focus on how the current and future
population expects to interact with government. And, will begin to address
the question of how do governments who have a poor

record on purchasing, implementing, and innovating with technology provide
the level of service expected by those who have never interacted with
entities without the aid of technology?

Questions may be addressed to Lloyd.Levine at hotmail.com

*Instructions for Authors *

Due Dates

The due date for manuscripts is Friday, June 28th, 2019.

Formatting

Please format your text according to the guidelines at:

http://emeraldgrouppublishing.com/products/ebooks/author_guidelines.htm#a6

All submissions must be in Word and include:

1) title of manuscript,

2) abstract up to 250 words,

3) up to 6 keywords,

4) main text with headings,

5) references,

6) as appropriate to the submission appendices, images, figures, and
tables.

Word Count Inclusive of Citations

Pieces should be approximately 7,000-10,000 words, including citations.
However, I am more concerned with appropriateness to the topic than a
specific length. Should you have a proposal that fits the topic well I am
happy to consider pieces as short as 5,000 words or as long as 12,000. I
only ask that you give me advance notice of the length so I can make the
appropriate adjustments.

CTA Forms and Permissions

Please download the CTA form from the link below, fill it out, and return
it with your manuscript.

http://www.emeraldmediastudies.com/Chapter_Transfer_Agreement_form_Emerald_Publishing.doc

Permissions

If you are using third party materials, please follow Emerald Publishing’s
Guidelines at:

http://www.emeraldgrouppublishing.com/authors/writing/permission_request.doc

If needed, please provide any permissions forms:

http://www.emeraldgrouppublishing.com/authors/writing/permission_request.doc

*Emerald Studies in Media and Communications*
emeraldmediastudies.com
editorial at emeraldmediastudies.com