[CITAMS] MSU Department of Media and Information is hiring - 2 Faculty Positions plus a Postdoc Position!

Cotten, Shelia cotten at msu.edu
Wed Oct 30 15:36:15 EDT 2019

Come join our wonderful department! We have 2 positions: Assistant Professor and an Open Rank position. Plus, I'm hiring a postdoc too!

The Department of Media and Information (M&I) at Michigan State University is home to a dynamic, interdisciplinary faculty who are internationally recognized for their cutting-edge research on the design, uses and implications of information and communication technologies (ICTs). We invite applications for two separate positions: (1) an open-rank faculty tenure system position (with potential for an endowed professorship) and (2) an assistant professor faculty tenure system position.

The successful candidates will have a Ph.D. in a relevant field. Review of applicants will begin December 6, 2019. The expected start date for both positions is August 16, 2020.

Please contact Susan Wyche (spwyche at msu.edu<mailto:spwyche at msu.edu>) if you have questions.

---

Open Rank Tenure System Faculty

We welcome applications from emerging and established scholars in information science or related disciplines whose research answers significant questions about technology, and its impacts on individuals, groups, and society. We are especially interested in applicants whose research interests complement our department's strengths in: human-computer interaction (HCI), information communication technology and development (ICTD), information systems, social computing, game studies, digital inequality and impacts of ICTs, and health informatics. Scholars who examine topics concerning diversity and its relationship to ICT design and/or use are encouraged to apply.

Outstanding candidates may be considered for a Brandt Endowed Professorship. Ellis (Ned) Brandt was a graduate of MSU's School of Journalism, and a prominent Michigan philanthropist. The Brandt Endowed Professorship offers a competitive salary and annual research allowance. The ideal candidate is an exceptional scholar with: a successful track record of securing external research funding; experience and interest in mentoring faculty; and excellent collaboration skills. Publishing in peer-reviewed venues in relevant fields is expected, as is teaching and advising students in the Department's undergraduate and graduate programs.

See https://careers.msu.edu/cw/en-us/job/502699/assistantassociatefull-professor-tenure-system for more details.

---

Assistant Professor Tenure System Faculty

We are seeking an innovative, dynamic individual to fill a full-time, tenure system position at the assistant professor level who is interested in human-centered approaches to design, and engages with emerging technologies, such as (but not limited to) games, interactive media, virtual reality, and augmented reality. We value interests in socially relevant topics and improving people's lives. Our ideal candidate integrates both "arts" and "sciences" in their work while recognizing the importance of inclusivity.

Candidates will be expected to gain visibility through peer-reviewed academic research publications and/or juried creative works. Given our strong interdisciplinary culture, we welcome applications from individuals from a diverse range of disciplinary and methodological traditions who thrive in a vibrant academic environment. Faculty members are also expected to pursue external funding to support their research and/or creative activity. In addition, candidates will teach in our undergraduate and graduate programs, as well as advise graduate students on projects, theses, and dissertations.

See https://careers.msu.edu/cw/en-us/job/502698/assistant-professortenure-system for more details.

My postdoc position:
Posting #615723: Research Associate-Fixed Term: https://careers.msu.edu/cw/en-us/job/502631/research-associatefixed-term
Position Summary

Dr. Shelia Cotten, a professor in the Department of Media and Information, along with colleagues in Engineering, Geography, and Psychology, are seeking a Research Associate (Postdoctoral Fellow) for a 1-year position, with the potential for renewal for up to 3 additional years. The position is available starting as soon as December 1, 2019. The position will work with Dr. Cotten and her collaborators on a newly funded National Science Foundation study focusing on workforce impacts of autonomous vehicles. The study focuses on taxi/ride hailing and trucking industries.

The researcher will be part of a strong interdisciplinary team of researchers, graduate and undergraduate research assistants, and an engaging community of scholars at MSU interested in SocioMobility and working to understand the impacts of autonomous vehicles. The position will act as a project manager, helping to manage the day-to-day operations of the project, coordinate project activities, and assist with recruiting organizations for study participation. This person will be involved in a range of quantitative and qualitative data collection and analysis activities. They will also have opportunities to mentor both undergraduate and graduate students.

Applicants must have defended their dissertation prior to beginning the postdoctoral fellowship. A doctoral degree in Sociology, Psychology, Geography, Engineering, Communication, Information Science, or a related field is required. Candidates must have (1) strong skills in collecting, cleaning and analyzing quantitative and qualitative data, (2) experience writing manuscripts for technical and non-technical audiences, and (3) good organization and time management skills. Prior publications and grant writing experience will enhance the application.

Required Degree

Doctorate -Sociology, psychology, geography, engine

Minimum Requirements

  *   Doctorate in information, human-computer interaction, information science, psychology, sociology, geography, engineering, or a related field by the start date. (Applicants must have defended their dissertation prior to beginning the postdoctoral fellowship)
  *   Excellent qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis skills.
  *   Strong skills in scholarly and non-technical writing.
  *   Record of scholarly productivity.
  *   Good organization and time management skills.
  *   Ability to work in interdisciplinary team settings as well as independently.

Desired Qualifications

  *   Experience with community-based research.
  *   Coursework, professional experience or prior research in the areas of emerging technologies, autonomous vehicles, organizational change, or economics.
  *   Desire to learn and contribute to the impacts of emerging technologies research area.
  *   Experience with qualitative and quantitative data cleaning, coding, and analysis.
  *   Experience interfacing/coordinating with non-academic populations and organizations.

Required Application Materials

  *   Cover letter describing training, skills, research interests, interest in the position, and how skills and interests fit with those described in the position advertisement.
  *   Names and contact information for three references who can write a letter detailing your research expertise, organizational skills, and ability to work in large interdisciplinary research teams. Letters of recommendation will only be solicited from finalists.
  *   An up-to-date curriculum vitae

Website

https://comartsci.msu.edu/departments/media-and-information

Department Statement

The Department of Media and Information is home to an interdisciplinary faculty, internationally recognized for its cutting-edge research on the uses and implications of media and information technologies and services. The Department has a strong commitment to inclusivity and diversity in all areas and encourages candidates from underrepresented groups. MSU is an affirmative-action, equal-opportunity employer. MSU is committed to achieving excellence through a diverse workforce and inclusive culture that encourages all people to reach their full potential. The University actively encourages applications and/or nominations of women, persons of color, members of the LGBTQ community, veterans, and persons with disabilities. Persons with disabilities have the right to request and receive reasonable accommodation.

MSU Statement
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.