[CITAMS] e-book of Lie Machines now available

Philip Howard philip.howard at oii.ox.ac.uk
Thu May 7 03:43:59 EDT 2020

Dear Friends and Colleagues:  I hope everyone is feeling safe, healthy and resilient!

I'm thrilled to announce that the e-book of my new book, Lie Machines: How to Save Democracy from Troll Armies, Deceitful Robots, Junk News Operations, and Political Operatives is now available.

You can order the e-book here:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087THT6J7/

Hardcopy pre-orders are possible from Yale University Press and major book retailers (Yale<https://yalebooks.yale.edu/book/9780300250206/lie-machines>, Amazon<https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lie-Machines-Democracy-Operations-Operatives/dp/0300250207/ref=sr_1_2?qid=1585806205&refinements=p_27%3APhilip+N.+Howard&s=books&sr=1-2>, Powells<https://www.powells.com/book/-9781705216460>)

Misinformation, disinformation and political from elected officials, authoritarian governments, and extremist groups doesn't just choke public debate.  These days, myths about the coronavirus are deadly.  The mechanisms that produce, distribute and market these myths are the same as those that have done so much damage to public life in recent years.  Lie machines are social and technical mechanisms for distributing false messages in the service of ideology.  In the book I not only take the machine apart analytically, I offer a plan for minimizing their impact and disassembling them entirely.

I hope everyone is sheltering in place, and I will be giving a series of talks on the book in the month ahead.  The first, hosted by Oxford University will be on May 20th, and I hope you'll join me.  I'll not only discuss the global Lie Machines project, but will highlight some of our latest research on coronavirus misinformation.

https://www.oii.ox.ac.uk/events/lie-machines-online-book-launch/

Please consider picking up a copy of the book and joining me for this event.  It's daunting to launch a new book without a book tour.  So I'd be especially grateful if you'd consider doing a little review on Amazon--or upvoting an Amazon review you agree with--now that it is out.  Give it a push over your own social media feeds. It all helps!

If you are an instructor on a big class and need a virtual speaker, perhaps I could join for a class visit.

If your department/organization looking for book talks or developing virtual events, please let me know!

Best,
Phil

Dr. Philip N. Howard
Director, Oxford Internet Institute